Thursday, August 14, 2008

Primates 3 - Voja 0

Well, Primates of the Caribbean triumph again, with Don, Tom & Trond all continuing their amazing winning ways (all three are undefeated & "undrawn"), while I find a new way to lose (more on that in a minute). In this round, we squared off against the returning U2000 champions, although to be fair I do not know how many of last tournament's winning team had returned. Luckily for us, we fielded off strongest team rating-wise (Nosferatu1 took the week off). We won on boards 2, 3 and 4, while Cappelo-upgrate and I were double-forfeited. Argh.

First off, this is MY FAULT. Cappelo has every right to be upset to have been forfeited (if he is, I am sorry). Here are the circumstances -- in the hope that this saves someone from this situation. As this is my first full tournament, my fourth game ever in the league and my first time as Captain, every week I am learning something.

OK, down to it. Cappelo offered 3 options to play, and I picked on for Monday @ 7:00. Now he wrote 7:00 ICC Server Time (correctly I might add), and I for reasons unknown my brain read that as 7:00 PM NOT AM as he had written. But then in a following post I tried to confirm a 1900 start time. From there, things kinda spiraled downward as I was on travel. He tried to contact me to reschedule, and by the time I read his later posts trying to correct the situation, he had offered Monday afternoon --which then I accepted (but as it turned out not outside the 24 hour window, which is requirement). Therefore, he did not have enough time to accept. So we were both forfeited, a ruling that I think is more than fair on my part but perhaps a bit harsh on him. I am actually considering contacting the TD and appealing Cappelo's forfeit. It seems only fair (tho' I am not sure how to do it yet).

The take aways for everone else:
1. Make sure you use a 24 hour clock to offer times. For example, 0700 for 7:00 AM and 1900 for 7:00 PM. Also all times are in ICC Server Time (aka, Eastern Daylight Time).
2. Give your opponent more that 24 hours lead time.

OK BREAK BREAK

We have faced all three teams in our division and come away with 3 victories. I am not sure we can continue this incredible form, but as long as Tom, Don & Trond keep playing the way they are playing, we are going to be very tough to beat. I am just hoping I can finally step up to the plate and deliver. We are now going to face the same 3 teams again, akin to a "home and away" format. I do believe we have a legitimate shot to make the playoffs.

No comments: