Tuesday, August 17, 2010

T45 wrap up & Looking Forward to T46

Every blog (and I suppose every “Blogger” by extension) must go through that period of inactivity for any number of reasons. I noticed the other day – actually one of my friends noticed and pointed it out – that I had not updated the Primates blog since the start of the last tournament. Given that, here is a wrap up of the last tournament. In summary, we were so close but soooooooo far. Curt, who had taken a break from playing the 45 45 league in T45 said it best when he observed that we were much more competitive than the final score would indicate. We lost most of the rounds 1.5 – 2.5, so while we didn’t earn Match Points we did have plenty of game points. We finished midpack in our division and did not qualify for the playoffs.

So T46 has started and the lineup has changed quite a bit from past years. Bob, Tom & Trond have all decided to take a break from the league due to the demands on their time. Cesar initially was on the T46 team but earned a 5 tournament suspension due to an accumulation of forfeits. From the “old days” Curt is back, playing as a “backup backup” player. In their places, new Primates have arrived: Merciful, Sammj & Upsan. Welcome, gentlemen.

After two rounds, we are 1 – 1 and, if things go well, we should be competitive (but then again, I say that every tournament).
From Round 2, I nominated Upsan’s game for “Game of the Week” for his patient and very clinical endgame technique.
Check it out and see if you agree:
http://www.4545league.org/pgnplayer/pgnplayer.php?id=39076

Finally, I am not sure that I’ll be posting weekly updates. Anyone who has read a chess tournament article realizes that a tournament can only be written up in so many ways. Instead, right now I am leaning towards just outright “genteel chess pontifications”, while highlighting great teammates’ games I watch from the sidelines.

No comments: