Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Round 4: Primates 2 -- LeChess Maestros 2

What a weird round this was. In the first game, Tom played an amazing game against Fegary... and drew! Both players were at their best, and the end result was one of the best games I have seen in this league. Then it was my turn and I played Chessduke (I had Black). We went into a rather innocuous line, where I have not lost in tournament play. I knew the entire line all the way to move 16, where Chessduke offered a draw. I accepted. You could call it my "Grandmaster Draw"; I think I have 2 of those in this tournament.

Then bizarro things started to happen. Nosferatu1 showed up an hour late for his game -- and forfeited. Then the very next day, Don's opponent also was a no-show and forfeited. End result: match tied 2-2. Looking back at the match -- 2 draws and 2 forfeits.

Round 5 (the next round) against the Runners arguably is going to the critical round. We are tied with LeChess Maestros and the Runners in match points, but behind a half point in total games won to the Maestros and ahead a half a point in total games won to the Runners. This is a very competitive division and every game now counts -- no grandmaster draws!

One final note: I have noticed an amazing amount of forfeits in tournament #39. Not sure what the cure for that problem is, but I would be interested in seeing some statistics on it.

No comments: